The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has released a new video to help keep your small business safe from fraud. This is another video in a series of videos from the FTC Protecting Small Businesses playlist.
The short video describes some sound safeguards your business can follow, such as “taking action immediately” if you have experienced a data breach.
The FTC advises the following safeguards to include, but not limited to:
- Rallying your response team (e.g., IT operations, legal, finance, HR, and communications staff).
- Obtain third party forensics experts if needed for investigation.
- Take affected servers offline immediately.
- Contain data breach from spreading.
- Change affected customer passwords.
- Verify third parties who have access to your systems are following proper security practices.
- Take affected data offline and secure if improperly posted online.
- Secure physical areas impacted by the breach.
- Fix vulnerabilities.
Small businesses experiencing a breach should also notify law enforcement immediately and their affected customers.
Readers can check out FTC\databreach for more information, to include Data Breach Response Guide for Small Businesses and short video.